Questions? Write Me at

Questions? Write me at fullcirclegardener @ cableone . net.

HSV Garden Challenge: Linkup #2


It has been a lot of fun to be intentional about using gardening and plants in our school time and I love hearing the kids talk about what they are learning.  The other day my husband was talking about plant 'dirt' and the kids informed him that plants need 'soil' and not 'dirt'.  He was amazed at being corrected by a couple of preschoolers! ;D

Last time I posted about the Garden Challenge, I shared that the kids & I had planted Zinnia seeds.  We were all amazed when the seeds sprouted within 2 days!  They now have a couple sets of "real" leaves & look like zinnia plants.  We have been measuring the plants for the last 2 weeks and found that they grew about 1 inch between the two weeks.  My oldest is finding this rapid growth very interesting.  Today we will be taking our 3rd measurement.  It will be interesting to see if it continued this pace!

We continue to use both the My Father's World Kindergarten curriculum and Preschool Gardening Pack from Home School Creations as the basis for our study.  Last week we studied the letter P.  It was easy to discuss plant growth (sequencing), planting, and pots.  We also incorporated Easter and the story of Jesus' death, burial & resurrection into our P week when we planted an Easter Garden.  It was a great spiritual & practical plant/seedling illustration! :D


This week we are studying the letter K.  I have not found natural ways to include K in our garden lessons, but I plan on continuing our observation of both the zinnia and the wheat grass seedlings that we have planted.

Next week we will be taking a spring break, but will back into full swing the second week of May.  I'm hoping we will be able to take our garden classroom outside & plant into the garden late that week or the next.

Happy Learning and Gardening! :)

7 comments:

  1. looks like fun! K in the garden - you've got my noodle in knots! =)

    Thanks for participating!!
    Stef - HSV TEAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,

    We are going to plant Zinnia in our front yard to add color and I was told they can handle a lot of sun. We were going to get potted plants, but may change our minds since they grow so quickly from seed. Your plant growth is looking quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milk & Honey Mommy,

    Zinnias have been a part of my gardening since I was a kid! I love their color and so do humming birds & butterflies! :D We/I have always planted them from seed. You could actually sprinkle the seed where you want it to grow right now & they will come up as soon as the soil is warm enough. It will take about a month for them to reach flowering. Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job so far! Such easy lesson plans when it all comes to nature huh! Stopping by from HSV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like some great plant science. I've planted some zinnias for the first time this year--can't wait for them to be big enough to get into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We planted Zinnias for the first time this year and agree that they sprouted really fast.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your gardening comments and/or questions.