Questions? Write Me at

Questions? Write me at fullcirclegardener @ cableone . net.

Preserving Garden Produce: Refrigerator Pickles

When the garden is in full swing and the abundance fills your kitchen and refrigerator, it is time to start preserving some of it for use after the abundance is gone.  This week I came home to an abundance of large cucumbers.  My family loves fresh cucumbers and I know that we could eat them up, but I also know that more cucumbers will come and so I'm going to take a few and make refrigerator pickles.

Refrigerator pickles are sometimes also referred to as 6 month pickles because they will keep in your refrigerator for about 6 months.  They are the very easiest pickle to make.  If you enjoy a sweet pickle, then this is worth trying out! :)


Refrigerator Pickles

8 c sliced unpeeled cucumbers
4 peeled & coined carrots
4 peppers; cored & sliced  ( I used 2 bell & 2 medium heat peppers for a little spicy kick)
1 c sliced onion
1 c vinegar
1/8 c salt
2 c sugar
1 tsp celery seed (or celery salt)

Prepare all of the veggies as directed and put into a half gallon glass container.  Mix remaining ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and heat until the sugar dissolves.  Pour the warm liquid over the veggies and place in the refrigerator.  Let sit for at least 24 hours before you serve the pickles.

Enjoy!

Happy Gardening & Preserving! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your gardening comments and/or questions.