Questions? Write Me at

Questions? Write me at fullcirclegardener @ cableone . net.

A Garden 'Welcome Home'

August 8, 2011
Two weeks of being away from home and I am completely amazed at how much everything has grown!  I'm so glad to see it has handled my absence and lack of tending so well! :D

 I have tomato plants that are about 6 foot tall & cherry tomatoes that are starting to turn red.

 The jack-o-lantern pumpkin looks like it would like to take over the whole garden!  I clipped off a couple of growing points this morning and will let it put energy into what is already there.  The pumpkins and squash seem to have problem setting fruit this year.  I don't know if it is the result of the accidental integration of herbicide in my soil or if it is just the way things are this season.  Is anyone else having problems with zucchini, squash or pumpkins setting fruit this year?

A quick search of my cucumbers resulted in a harvest of mammoth size cucumbers that will be turned into refrigerator pickles.  I'll post my favorite recipe later this week.

I also saw that I have kohlrabi that are ready for harvest as well.  I collected one that we enjoyed for lunch today and will harvest one or two a day for the next couple of weeks.  In my opinion, kohlrabi are best fresh from the garden or they loose that juicy crunch I like so well.

It is sooooo good to be home AND find the a small garden harvest waiting for me! :)

What are you harvesting this week?

Happy Gardening! :)

2 comments:

  1. My mini pumpkins and squash are having the same problem. Growing like mad, but not setting fruit at all. Im hoping my tomato plants still come through for me. They look great but not many toms yet. :(
    Glad your garden did so well in your absence and that you made it home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw my first jack-o-lantern pumpkin yesterday! Kids will be thrilled. ;)

    TJO - I hope you find some soon too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your gardening comments and/or questions.