Questions? Write Me at

Questions? Write me at fullcirclegardener @ cableone . net.

Buttercup Squash Under Attach: A Second Chance

A couple of weeks ago I shared with you that the squash vine borers were attaching my buttercup squash again this year.  I have lost battles to squash vine borers for the last three years and this year they have taken out my zucchini plants and most of my buttercup squash.  After my previous post, I was reminded about an NDSU extension article I had linked to on The Full Circle Gardener Facebook page by a Facebook reader.  The article pointed out that squash plants root at multiple points along the stem and that one might be able to save a plant by providing multiple locations of ground contact and thus rooting points.

I took this knowledge and covered a length of stem with soil and mulch near the one squash that was on my plant.  So far all of the plant but that small area has died.  It is obviously struggling, but I am hoping that I am able to give the fruit enough time to mature.  Whatever happens with my one remaining segment of vine & one squash, I have learned a valuable lesson about squash borers and using the squash vine's natural desire to root to my advantage. :}

Do you have a garden pest you have been able to conquer this year?  I'd love to hear how you obtained your victory.


Happy Gardening!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your gardening comments and/or questions.