Questions? Write Me at

Questions? Write me at fullcirclegardener @ cableone . net.

Baked Cabbage

This is an old family recipe straight off the farm.  It rich and full of calories but sure tastes good and is a treat every once in awhile.  If you like cabbage, this is a recipe that you just have to try once!  I made this recipe to accompany corned beef that was on my freezer cooking meal plan for the week but it would go well with any savory beef roast and baked potatoes.  I used purple cabbage that my mom  grew in her garden this last summer.  The color bled and turned the cream a lovely purple color but still tasted good! ;)


Baked Cabbage
Ingredients:
1 small head cabbage
1 Tbs flour
1 Tbs sugar
1 c sweet cream
salt and pepper to taste
Opt: 4-6 slices of bacon

Preheat oven to 350 while you prepare the dish.  Coarsely chop the cabbage and place in a lightly grease baking dish.  Mix flour, sugar, cream, salt & pepper together and pour over the cabbage.  Top with strips of bacon if you wish.  Bake covered for 1 hr.  Remove cover for last 15 min to crisp bacon. 
Serve hot and enjoy!

Happy Garden Eating! :D

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh i like this. I actually really love cabbage and have been thinking on something I could do in my crock-pot but this sounds really good. Might have to give it a whirl! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I have done this recipe in the crock pot & it works well. Two things to note if you use the crock pot. 1)Stir a couple of times during the cooking process so that all of the cabbage gets to soak in the sauce for awhile. 2) Sadly, the bacon doesn't get a chance to crisp up in the crock pot, but if you chip it up and incorporate it, the bacon does lend its flavors to the dish. Enjoy! Let me know what you think after you've tried it! :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your gardening comments and/or questions.